Welcome home, new kitty! Whether you are a first-time cat mom or cat dad, or if you are increasing your cat collection, welcoming home a new kitty is a fun time. You get to set up new cat areas and get new cat dishes, not to mention your new “Cat parent” mug and apparel options. No worries about all the cat toys and treats, though; KONG Club has you covered in that department.
One of the most important tasks of making your house a home for your new kitty is giving them a name. Your pet’s name will become a part of them and give them the distinction of becoming part of the family.
You want to give your cat a unique name that fits their unique personality. Let’s look at 14 unique cat names so you can find the purrfect name for your feline friend.
How Do I Pick the Best Name for My Cat?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to picking your cat’s name. Of course, you want a name that your kitty will respond to. A study found that cats respond best to hard sounds — think words that contain T, K, and B. However, cats can also distinguish between some vowels, like A, E, and I.
Refrain from picking a name that is the same as commands, like “sit” or “here.” You don’t want to create unnecessary confusion, especially if you have a pet like a dog that follows those commands. Your cat may also learn to ignore that word, effectively learning to ignore their name.
Although some like giving their cats multiple names, like Pudding Von Sugarsweet, it’s sometimes wise to shorten that name into a nickname your cat will likely respond to. One or two syllables are best, especially if you need to call for them outside.
In this case, you have plenty of options like Pudding, Sugar, and Sweetie. After all, are you really a pet parent if you don’t have multiple nicknames for your cat (some that make absolutely no sense to an outsider)?
Trending Cute Cat Names for 2022
When considering a name for your cat, looking at the most popular cat names is always a good start. The list below includes both boy cat names and girl cat names, as well as a few unisex cat names.
Let’s look at some of the most popular cat names for 2022:
Keep an ear out for the most popular cat names in your neighborhood. Things could possibly get a tad confusing if four Oreos live on the same block.
Unique Cat Name Ideas
If you want to give your cat a name as unique as they are, you have a lot of places to look for inspiration. Literary or movie characters, gods and goddesses from mythology, and popular names from foreign countries offer endless possibilities.
Let’s look at some unique names (and their origins) that your cat will love:
Nature-Inspired Cat Names
- Zinnia – a botanical choice for your cat that allows you to name additional cats after flowers. What’s better than a bouquet of kittens?
- Nebula – an out-of-this-world name for the cutest cat in the galaxy. It’s a great name for a black cat!
Old-Fashioned Names for Your Cat
- Ellsworth – a popular name with aristocrats, your cat will be a part of the upper crust with this name.
- Valentino – a stylish choice for your debonair gentleman. If you have multiple cats,
- Orson – meaning “bear cub,” this name is perfect for your super fluffy boy.
- Cecily – the female equivalent of Cecli, Cecily is an adorable feminine name for your little lady.
- Amadeus – if classical music is your forte, naming your cat after one of the most cherished composers allows you to combine your two loves.
- Saoirse – This unique female cat name is a pretty moniker of Irish origin; you’ll be sure to have the only kitty on the street with this unique Gaelic name. Just don’t be surprised if every vet you visit asks you how to pronounce it.
Movie-Inspired Cat Names
- Simba – A perfect name for Disney fans with cute orange cats
- Bigglesworth – This adorable name fits a cat who loves the refined things in life. In other words, this cat just loves to lounge around, meow and purr all day long.
Literary-Inspired Cat Names
- Crookshanks – If you’re a fan of Hermione from the Harry Potter series, this is the best cat name for your furry friend.
- Gandalf – If you’ve got a gray cat who you can tell is wise, Gandalf is the name for him.
- Fitzwilliam – This is one of the most unique male cat names. It’s a lovely literary choice for the Jane Austen lovers out there. It’s particularly amazing if you already have a cat named Elizabeth or Darcy.
- Gulliver – if your kitty enjoys exploring the outdoors, this literary name will match your cat’s adventurous spirit.
When Do Cats Learn Their Names?
One of the best parts of being a pet parent is being able to call your kitty, and they respond by coming to see you. Now responding every single time you call their name is a completely different conversation.
We know that our cats tend to listen only when they want to, or so it seems. Our cats are independent creatures, and sometimes they may just want to be left to their own devices.
Cats have a whole set of body language that can sometimes be hard to decipher. If you call your cat’s name, and they don’t come running directly to you, it isn’t a sign that they don’t love you.
The key is their body language. Pay close attention to your cat’s ears. If they move or twitch when you call their name, they have heard their name and are listening for more.
Help your cat come to your call by helping them associate the sound of their name with something positive. After you pick out their name, call for them and give them a treat when they come to you.
You can also get pats and scratches in their favorite spots. After a while, your cat will learn that they will receive something positive when they come to you when they hear the sound of their name.
What if My Cat Ignores Their Name?
Have you called your cat’s name over and over, but your cat won’t answer your call? Welcome to being a cat parent!
We know that our favorite felines follow their own rules, and that may mean not coming when they hear their name called. They may be further engaged by a bird by the window, or they are lying in their favorite sun spot and are too comfortable to move.
Is Your Cat Ignoring Their Name?
There are a few logical reasons why your cat may be ignoring you when you call their name, and it has nothing to do with their own free will.
First, your cat’s name may sound too much like another word. If your cat’s name is “Blair,” but you use the word “chair” regularly, your cat may not be able to decipher between the two.
Additionally, there is a possibility that your cat may be experiencing hearing loss.
While we always recommend visiting your vet when you suspect something is amiss, you can always test this theory by making a loud noise behind your cat. Based on their reaction, you can make a guess about their hearing capabilities and think about if you should make an appointment with the veterinarian.
Your cat may also ignore their name if they have come to learn a negative association with the sound you call them. If your cat is the mischievous sort, you’ll probably say, “OH WHISKERS!” when you discover the shredded toilet paper or blinds yanked out of the window.
Your call will hear their name, plus your angry tone, and they’ll start to learn that hearing that particular word means that you are angry. Then they will start to ignore you or even hide when they hear their name being called.
KONG Club – Another Name for Fun
No matter what you call your new fur-child, you want to ensure they are happy and well taken care of. KONG Club makes it easy to keep your new kitty busy, and you stay well-informed on the latest pet health and wellness. KONG will become another name for fun in your household.
Each month’s box centers on a building block of wellness, like Nutrition and Behavior. Included in the box are training tips and recipes to help keep your pet healthy and engaged. Your cat will be fully satisfied with their treats and toys, and you’ll be satisfied with all the pet knowledge you’ll have right at your fingertips.
Each box is developed with your cat’s natural instincts in mind, and they will be kept busy playing with their toys while pouncing, hunting, and putting their claws to good use.
This monthly box will become such a huge hit that the mail delivery will be your cat’s favorite time of the day. They will definitely listen out for their name being called when their KONG Club box has been delivered. Join the KONG Club today!